Do you feel like you need to work on yourself? Are there any parts of you that you feel should remain hidden because they may make you feel stressed, nervous, or even ashamed?
Once you start experiencing these feelings, you may be faced with the truth – you have found your shadow. What most people fail to acknowledge is that if you uncover your shadow self, you can do shadow work, and this reflective work can help you create a better and healthier version of yourself.
Shadow work involves tapping into your psyche and coming face to face with some of your personality's deepest and darkest sides. Now, even though this might sound a bit scary, it can be a great path toward a wonderful and happy you.
This is why today we will look a bit deeper into the subject of shadow work and how to focus on your healing.
IS THERE A WAY FOR SHADOW WORK TO HELP WITH HEALING?
The idea of the shadow self comes from the fact that anyone in the world has a side they are not comfortable with. The shadow self is explained not as the person within you that you don’t know but as the person within you that you don’t want. This is why people tend to turn a blind eye to the fact that there is a shadow self within them.
Thankfully, there is an answer to this question. It can easily be described as shadow work. Once you focus on improving your mental health, it is time to get to work and make it happen. If you want to start your healing process, then the best way to do that would be to do shadow work.
Since there is a way to incorporate this process and start the healing, you can soon begin reaping the benefits. Remember that, in most cases, a mental health professional is involved. However, if you feel like you want to experience the shadow work alone, we are here to point out some of the benefits you might overlook. They include:
- Looking into your intuition – depending on what you are hiding from yourself, doing shadow work can help you expose some of the deepest aspects tucked into the unknown part of your mind, including your intuition. One aspect of this is getting in touch with your deeper knowledge. The fun thing about it is that if you were discouraged when using your intuition at a younger age, you might turn to that now. Your inner compass will light up once again, and you will love it.
- Stepping away from the shadow of the unconscious – the shadow is always upon us in the moments we operate at a higher, unconscious level. Once you stop to face your shadow, however challenging it might be, it will be worth it. Remember that it is a part of the healing process. This is a good starting point for you if you want to stop keeping your feelings suppressed.
- Accepting yourself – as time passes, you will notice that you are beginning to heal. Your outlook on the world and yourself will change, and you will start discovering a lot more about yourself. This is especially important to those people that have low self-esteem. They take all the good things about them and lock them up within their shadow self. So, once you start reclaiming the gifts that have been brought upon you, the positive change will come immediately.
- Take a step toward yourself – you might not realize that at the moment, but doing the shadow work is taking a step toward yourself. If you are already reading up on this, then you are ready to begin the process of self-discovery too. Personal growth is always encouraged, which is good for anyone who wants to become self-aware and fulfilled. Getting to a higher scale and being better means letting go of everything weighing you down.
CAN YOU DO SHADOW WORK IN YOUR DAY-TO-DAY LIFE?
Yes! The best thing about shadow work is that you can do it whenever you like. It is a method designed to suit your needs and make you feel better, and don’t forget that. However, there are a few points that you should look out for. These may be small triggers that can throw you off your path to a higher self. Let’s take a look at them together:
- Remember them for all that they are – triggers. Every little thing that may irritate you can help you get to a deeper understanding of yourself. Since you will be going the extra mile for yourself, then you are bound to come face to face with a challenge now and then. In these cases, stop, think about it, and find the source. It is an excellent exercise that can help you overcome things faster and in a healthy way!
- Talk to yourself as a compassionate person. After all, you are still doing important work on yourself, so give yourself a break every once in a while. A pat on the shoulder and a smile on your face are sometimes enough. Maturity is knowing when to stop and enjoy the relief.
- Get some help. Whenever you are feeling like you are being overwhelmed with emotions and challenges, you can always call for help. Whether it is a friend, colleague, member of your family, or health professional; it is always nice to know that you are not alone and have a support system in place.
If you wish to do shadow work, you must understand that it requires plenty of dedication on your end. Before you begin this process, keep in mind that it takes a lot of work – as with any other process. You may have some ups and downs, but in those cases just look at the bigger picture.
If you feel like you want to experience this unique way of healing on a higher level, and if you need some assistance, then please get in touch with us! Our wellness retreats and programs can always help you on that journey!